January 28, 2014
Atlanta plastic surgeon, Atlanta plastic surgery, Cosmetic breast surgery Atlanta ga, gummy bear implants Atlanta ga, keller funnel Atlanta, Rapid City breast augmentation, Rapid City breast enhancement, Rapid City breast reconstruction, Rapid City breast surgeon, Rapid City breast surgery
According to the latest statistics by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), breast augmentation has consistently been the top cosmetic surgical procedure since 2006. Cosmetic breast surgery is a safe and transformative procedure, but it is highly important for patients to conduct their research and make informed decisions about their surgery. With the numerous online tools available and various sources claiming different information, plastic surgery research can often feel overwhelming. To help his patients learn more about breast enhancement and their implant options, board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Hunter Moyer shares a brief list of facts and reputable resources.
- The FDA has approved three types of breast implants: saline, silicone, and highly cohesive silicone gel (also known as “gummy bear implants”).
- Implants come in a variety of shapes, textures, and sizes to fit different bodies. During your consultation, there are tools such as sizers and imaging technology to help determine a proper size for your aesthetic goals.
- Instead of breast cup sizes (A,B,C..), implants are measured by cubic centimeters (cc’s) which are determined by the amount of saline or silicone used to fill each implant.
- The Keller Funnel™ is an FDA-approved device to directly transfer the implant from its packaging directly to the patient so the risk of contamination and complications are significantly reduced.
- Surgical incisions can be made on various areas of the body to insert the implant such as under the breast, in the armpit, or even the belly button. The most common location is under the breast as scarring is covered and it provides direct access to the breast cavity.
- Breast implants can be used for both cosmetic purposes as well as reconstructive. Depending on the patient’s body and preference, implants can be an option for breast reconstruction.
As a board certified plastic surgeon with vast experience in breast procedures, Dr. Moyer always reminds patients to check their surgeon’s background and credentials as well as implant information from the manufacturers.
- The FDA publishes data sheets and approval information on their website.
- Accredited professional associations like ASPS and The American Society of Aesthetic Surgery (ASAPS) provide lists of procedures and current events relating to plastic surgery. ASPS also has a list of questions to ask your surgeon regarding breast surgery.
- Implant manufacturers such as Allergan®, Mentor®, and Sientra® offer breast implant information and safety guidelines.
If you are interested in breast augmentation or any other cosmetic procedure Dr. Moyer offers, please contact our office today. Be sure to connect with Dr. Moyer on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ for the latest updates and plastic surgery news.